Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Quest for Sub 5!

I ran a mile race on Independence Day. I watched the clock ticking as I approached the finish line. Slowly it counted up to 5:00 and then clicked twice past it before I crossed. 5:02, those two seconds were probably those two chocolate chip pancakes I ate two hours before the race that felt like a brick during.

On the trip back to Columbia from Jeff City that morning, I was talking with a friend and for some reason I bet I could break 5:00 within the following two weeks. This morning was my first attempt and it was a miserable failure! I made it all of 1,000 meters at 5:00 pace before I could feel my legs bogging down, possibly I haven't quite recovered from my 5k this past Sunday, or more likely I'm just not ready for a sub 5 minute effort.

I followed up my 1,000 meter effort this morning with the usual Wednesday evening track workout. First up on the schedule that Teddy Z had for us was a 1,200 at 5k pace. I decided since I hadn't run a full mile in the morning, I would make up for it. Ended up running a 5:26 mile, leading for the full 1,200 and running the last 400 solo. Not quite a sub 5 effort, but for a hot July evening a good effort.

What boggles my mind is that there are elite runners who can run a full marathon at sub 5 pace! If they can run 26.2 miles at that pace, I sure hope I can run one!

I'm going out on a limb here and will say, before the year is up, I will run one mile at a pace faster then the current world record marathon pace.

2 comments:

  1. Just thought I ought to look up and see how fast I'll be running that mile before the years up: 4:43!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me this effort is all about the warm up and "feeling" it. I will try it in 2 weeks just as you said. Keep it up and that "feeling it" will come. Go read your blog title. PS I also wrote about our "challenge" and my own rules

    ReplyDelete