Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Just Not Enough Time!!

Ok, I guess I really don't expect any sympathy from you. It's not like I have a family, kids, or other responsiblities that many of you have. I do have a house that's an ongoing project, but it's not like I'm putting much time into it these days! Just posting a quick note about the sacrifices one makes when attempting to improve in endurance athletics, don't ask me right now if it is worth it!

I'm biking a lot these days. Last night I got off of work and got home around 5:15. Found my ankle reflectors, rear light, mounted a headlight on my bike and headed out on the road about 5:45. Around 8:30 I was rolling back in after a 45 mile ride. Didn't leave a whole lot of down time before I was in bed resting up for another day.

Today was even more full. Up at 5am for a 10k run, followed by a 1,200 yard swim. The run was an easy paced run because I knew tonight I would be riding with the local bike racers on their fast paced Tuesday evening ride to Hallsville and back. So once again, shortly after getting home from work I was out the door for another ride. This ride was much faster than last nights, 21.5 mph average for 45 miles. Considering that my average after the first 7 miles was around 16 mph, the last 38 miles were fast!

The nice thing about riding faster was getting home around 7:30 and feeling like I had all kinds of time left in the evening. That is until I realized I needed groceries. Since I really didn't feel like using chocolate milk again on my cereal like I did this morning, a trip to the store was in order. Between going to the store and fixing dinner, the night was gone.

So now it is a little past 10 and since I plan on getting up at 5:30 to swim, I really need to head to bed. A quick post to my blog (http://triathleteguru.blogspot.com/) and then off to bed recharging for another round in the morning!

2 comments:

  1. I really did find that one a day workouts can really recharge your routine. With only one to do you can really focus on it. I think that from here on out I may get 2 once or twice a week only when it fits in perfectly and then just before a race try and get them all in. Don't burn out man. You do SO much better when you are starting to get into a routine and not missing your key workouts bc you have so many other filler workouts taking up your time and energy. Maybe find a time goal to hit each week for 4 weeks. If you are hitting that time, say 10 hours a week then ramp your intensity or tak on a Loooong ride if you end up having more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right, no symphathy at all. Quit your bellyaching. Try coming home from work at 6:00, feeding four members of a family, cleaning up after them, bathing, cleaning rooms, cleaning play areas, doing laundry, putting them to bed, getting up twice in the middle of the night to tuck in and get puked on and getting up at 5:00 am to do it all over again....Everyday, no weekends off or snooze alarms. Oh yeah, somewhere in there try to find time to ride a bike or swim or go for a quick run. Quit complaining.

    ReplyDelete