Tuesday, January 26, 2010

First Multisport Race of the Season Approaches...

Just thought I should post a quick update on my blog... I signed up for my first multisport race of the season this past week, the Desert Classic Duathlon in Phoenix AZ. It just happens to be taking place the weekend before a conference I have to be at in Phoenix so I'll be taking the teardrop out for a road trip! A race followed by a conference mixed in with 7 quality workouts in the Arizona desert!!

Three weeks following my first multisport event of 2010, I'm tentatively planning on running the Suntrust National Marathon in Washington DC. I say tentatively because I'm considering switching to the 1/2 marathon instead. Running a 1/2 fits into my overall plans of the year during which I hope to put up some fast time in a few 1/2 Ironmans. Training my body to run longer and slower doesn't seem like a great idea. Also, 2 weeks following the marathon I'll have the MaxTrax Duathlon where I would like to do well, recovery from a marathon is longer than 2 weeks! Would love to get my readers opinions...

Finally, it looks like I've made USAT Honorable Mention for the first time in my triathlon "career"! What that means is that out of the 3,968 USA Triathlon members in my age group (35-39) that completed at least 2 USAT races, I'm in the top 10%. It's something I've been disappointed about not making in the past, but I really wasn't expecting to this past year what with everything else that went on. It's a definite encouragement and helps me realize with the proper training and focus there's no reason an All American ranking (top 5%) isn't possible! Now, time for some sleep so I'll get up and train in the morning!!

3 comments:

  1. This may be the first time I would suggest you scale back. After training with 4 older (48-49) year old guys that run 2:55 you HAVE to get in ALL your long runs. Stick to the 1/2 Iron plans though and don't bump down no matter your training though. Also plan to PR but don't go out ANY faster then a 1:21:00 pace (a 5% improvement from your PR. Traveling and starting out too fast are just killer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Adam! I also sent an email to the CMC listserve and most of the replies recommended doing the 1/2 marathon. You have good advice, however, I'm still probably going to go out at sub 1:20:00 pace... Well, I'll do a 10 mile time trial 2 weeks before, what ever pace I can average for that is what I'll run the 1/2 at...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that TT is critical if you are gonna try that pace. I think an 8 mile TT would prolly do as well. 6:06 is hard on your own during training and not in a race setting with some cutting back before. Good Luck! I suggest keep you 800 speedwork coming as you endurance is coming along.

    ReplyDelete