Monday, June 18, 2012

Eureka Spring Xterra Triathlon Race Report 6/9/2012

I headed back to Eureka Springs for the third year in a row to do the Xterra Triathlon a little over a week ago. Not sure why more of my friends don’t do this race, for me it has become one of my favorite races of the year! Race site camping, low cost entry, beautiful scenery, and a challenging event, all combine to make a great experience.

My first year competing I was riding a mountain bike I had picked up used that really was too small. It was a hard tail with 26” wheels, riding it for an extended period of time would leave my back in spasms, I actually had to walk some of the down hills because of the pain! I would end up in 44th place with a 3:14:06. The following year (2011) I came back with a new full suspension Trek Hi-Fi Pro 29er from Walt’s and saw a huge improvement vaulting up to 5th overall with a 2:38:13. This year, while my fitness wasn’t quite what it has been in the past, I had recently cut my handle bars down and felt like I was riding off road much faster as a result. While I didn’t think it was likely my overall time or placing would improve, I felt I could improve a little on the bike course. Since I’ve only been swimming at most twice a week and usually more like once a week swimming 1,000 yards or less when I do, I decided I would hold off on the start and not try to mix it up with the fast guys. As you can see in the picture, I held way back at the swim start!

  I think the swim course was long last year and as I came out of the swim this year I knew I was about two or so minutes ahead of my time. However, I had a slow transition but still ended up leaving T1 at about the same time I had been exiting the swim course last year! Friday evening I took the time to pre-ride the course so I was pretty confident I could handle everything on the course. However, the course was really dry and many of the corners were super slick with loose gravel. Less than a mile in I slid out on one of the corners I had ridden just fine the night before and lost a spot as a result. In the ensuing long climb I ended up passing several cyclists and began to settle into a nice rhythm. Following the long first climb, the course levels out for a while and rides along a ridge before plunging back down and heading back by transition. On the long descent there are several corners and sections with loose gravel. I was taking a bit more of a cautious approach since I’m not really a mountain biker so I ended up getting passed by a group of about 4 guys flying down the mountain. I could only hope that I would pass them back on the run!

For the remainder of the bike I think I only got passed one more time and passed about 3 or 4 guys as well. Ended up heading back into T2 less than 1:40:00 into the race, knowing that a five mile trail run was easily under fifty minutes I felt like I had a good chance to go under 2:30:00 or an eight minute improvement from the previous year!


After a quick thirty second transition I was out on the run. I immediately regretted not taking the time to count the returned bikes as I had no idea what position I was running in! I could see two runners with a hundred yards or less ahead of me. My first temptation was to surge and pass them quickly, but instead I told myself to pace myself and pass them in time. The run is brutal and starts with a long and steep hill climb, I walked a lot of it as running wouldn’t have been much faster. Still though, even with the walking I ended up passing both the other runners, neither of them had noticed what position we were in so I just pressed on. Eventually I ran past an aid station where they told me I was in 6th place.
All told, I ended up passing 6 runners on the run and ended up finishing in 6th place overall, first in my age group. While I was one place lower overall than the previous year, the biggest thing for me was the 13 minute improvement on my overall time! Had I been fully trained and ready, a 13 minute improvement might have been expected. However, given that I’ve been training very lightly, I’m really excited to see what I can do when I finally pick things up!

No comments:

Post a Comment